Pioneering Personalities: James “Jimmy” Waters (1834­‐1903)

These history notes are contributed to Valley Ventures by one of our members, Max Farley.

James “Jimmy” Waters, destined to be known as “The King of Yarramalong”, was a 21 year-old when he arrived in the Yarramalong Valley in 1856. He was with his parents, Ezekiel and Jane, together with his five surviving siblings. He had been born in Ireland and was the eldest. Ezekiel, a “stone cutter” had come to the colony from Northern Ireland in 1838 as a free settler. He was to work on building Darlinghurst Gaol. It seems government money temporarily ran out and Ezekiel was given a grant of land at Hexham. The frequency of floods in the Hunter caused him to come to Yarramalong with his family.

James very soon acquired land in the Valley in the vicinity of 304 Ravensdale Road. He called it Ravensdale Farm after a pretty valley of that name near the Waters’ home in Northern Ireland.

He appears to have been an imaginative and innovative person with a lively mind and a wide range of interests. As a farmer, he introduced “Planters Friend”, a sugar cane from which he made molasses. To crush it, he made a small mill with a wooden roller and powered by one horse. Another innovation was growing arrowroot, which he exhibited internationally and won a First Class Medal in 1876 at the Philadelphia Exhibition. In 1880 he expanded significantly by opening the first steam-powered sawmill in the district, the nearest other being at Ourimbah. It was initially at Sandy Flat below the Cemetery. He specialised in cutting “felloes” for which he designed a “Dished Circular Saw”.

James was by no means restricted to rural activities. He took great interest in the political and economic affairs of the day and presided over or actively participated in public meetings at which issues of the day were debated. Such controversial questions as Free Trade, Protectionism, Land Tax and Federating the State colonies were on the agendas. On these and other matters he was a frequent writer of “letters to the Editor”. Religion was a topic on which he had firm opinions. Though his father was a staunch Presbyterian, James himself was always ready to argue in favour of his own atheism.

Community questions received his attention. When the route of the coming railway was being considered he was active in stirring up action to have it travel through Gosford rather than Windsor as was being proposed. At a public meeting in Gosford in 1878 James “in a very able speech, MOVED: That the most direct route, and the one possessing the most general benefits, is from Newcastle, passing through Brisbane Water, and terminating on the north shore of Port Jackson”. Having in mind the bad state of Yarramalong Road, particularly in wet conditions, it was important to the settlers that the Bumble Hill Road be improved. James took part in a deputation to the Government seeking funds for this purpose. On a different topic altogether it was James who seconded a motion at the public meeting where it was resolved to open a subscription list to support the Irish Famine Relief Fund.

James was a Magistrate, a member of the Public School Board of Education for the sub-district Wyong and a Trustee of the Yarramalong General Cemetery.

There were no doctors in the Valley and James provided basic medical aid. Not only did he pull teeth and stitch cuts – he also set broken limbs. It is told that when a daughter, Stella, was badly scalded he took skin from other of his children and grafted it on to her.

He was a genial soul who enjoyed spending time with his contemporaries. An item in the Gosford Times recorded that in later life “After tea the irrepressible ‘Jimmy’ Waters makes his appearance on the scene (and) at once strikes up a controversy. He is never happy unless he is arguing the point, and he will converse with mysterious wisdom on any subject from the affinity of atoms to the immortality of the soul”. The “scene” referred to was the Yarramalong Inn, owned by his younger brother William “Billy” Waters. It was burnt down in 1917 and the publican’s son, Cleve Waters, built Linga Longa Guest House on the site. The building remains today.

James Waters and his wife Pricilla Woodbury. Photo source: Steve Waters.

James Waters and his second wife Pricilla Woodbury. Photo source: Steve Waters.

Though it is painful to record information about a person who in all other ways would be seen as an outstanding individual no matter what the century, it is necessary to do so to present a rounded picture. Social values and the expectations of women, and men too, in the 1800s were vastly different from those of today. And reliable birth control was not available. 21st century eyes would be aghast to know he fathered 17 children from two wives. He married the 16 year-old Barbara Thompson in 1854 and they had 9 children in the following 18 years. She died in 1872 in childbirth bearing the ninth. Her age was 34. He then married 22 year-old Priscilla Woodbury in 1881 and they had eight children in the next 18 years. James died in 1903 and Priscilla outlived him by 53 years.

To conclude on a positive note: at the 1929 Annual Pioneers Dinner, the 97 year old William Pescud said that “he knew all the pioneers of the district and that in his opinion no kindlier man than the late James Waters ever lived.”

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

 SOURCES: Max Farley; A Pictorial History of the Wyong Shire, Volume 1-5, Edward Stinson.

Advertisements

The Valley’s Halls

These history notes are contributed to Valley Ventures by one of our members, Max Farley.

Wyong Creek Hall, all gussied-up for it’s Centenary in 2014. [Photo source: Susan Buck]

Wyong Creek Hall, all gussied-up for it’s Centenary in 2014. [Photo: Susan Buck]

Everyone in the Valley must have noticed the changed appearance of Wyong Creek Hall. This work has been carried out in preparation for The Hall’s centenary being celebrated this year [2014]. Its sister at Yarramalong reached that milestone ten years earlier in 2004. Yarramalong, too, has been altered many times over the years. This has been well documented in a history prepared at the time by Yvonne Turvey and Kevin Grant to record the occasion.

Long before adult public education was available here and overseas, communities established places where residents could have access to libraries with instructional and recreational books as well as technical information. Opportunities for learning and cultural improvement were offered by lectures. A general aim was “to promote the intellectual, social and moral improvement of the working man”. Somewhat presumptuous in terms of today’s attitudes.

The concept of establishing institutes originated in Scotland. It was adopted in Britain and imported to Australia in the 19th century. Schools of Arts, Literary Institutes and Mechanics Institutes abounded. By the 1890s there were over 400 Mechanics Institutes in Victoria alone. In NSW it seems that Schools of Arts were the more popular.

Both of the Valley’s Halls are owned by the community and are on donated land. Before Yarramalong Hall was built, people had to rely on a barn made available to the community by the pioneer settler, Ezekiel Waters. This was opposite the site of the old Linga Longa Inn which is now a private home.

For a number of years there was also “Triggs Hall” on the south side of Yarramalong Rd just east of Lauff’s Lane. Specific details are elusive but it was in use for many years and at least through to the 1930s. It was made available to the community by the well known Trigg family which has been in the district for 125 years or more.

The Hall at Yarramalong has the words “School of Arts – Est. 1904” proudly displayed on its gable. In the case the Wyong Creek Hall such a sign would be “Wyong Creek Literary Institute – Est. 1914”. These phrases may seem outmoded, even pretentious, in the 21st century but are an important part of the Hall’s history.

Yarramalong Hall still looks pretty as a picture at 110 years. [Photo source: Susan Buck]

Yarramalong Hall still looks pretty as a picture at 110 years. [Photo: Susan Buck]

However, times were rapidly changing. Transport improved, educational avenues developed and special purpose halls such as Masonic Temples, RSL Clubs and sporting Clubs’ meeting places were being built. The originally professed roles of the Halls became largely irrelevant. In small local communities like the Yarramalong Valley they came to be used mainly for recreational purposes such as concerts, art shows, school prize-giving ceremonies, Christmas parties, craft exhibitions, trash and treasure sales, wedding receptions and dances. Various means were used to prepare the floors for dancing. One was to spread sawdust mixed with kerosene over them and then sweep it off. Candle wax could be used later in the evening as the floor lost its “slide”.

In earlier times, it was the dances that were particularly popular. In the case of the Valley’s Halls, people came from as far as Murrays Run by horses, sulkies and later by car and truck. Rules and practices were developed to ensure the behaviour of the participants was kept within bounds. The following Rules were in common use but only our now elderly residents would know whether they all applied in the Valley’s Halls.

Generally, alcohol was not allowed in the Halls but the drinkers would bring their own. Fights were tolerated but only if they took place outside. On arrival, the young men stood at the entrance door to get a good look at the ladies as they entered. The young women sat inside on benches along the side walls. Many of the men spent a goodly part of the evening drinking outside. The women remained inside and kept an eye out for any girls who ventured out. The reputation of such girls was at risk. The men wore a jacket and a tie, the women frocks, skirts and blouses – nothing elaborate. They wore lipstick and possibly rouge but anything beyond that would be thought of as being “tarted up”. If children had been brought they would later sleep inside under the side benches, in the ladies’ cloak room or outside in the car.

Our Halls remain greatly appreciated today not only for their heritage and the happy memories they hold for our older residents but also because they continue to play an important part in the life of the Valley.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

SOURCES: Max Farley; Photos Susan Buck.